To promote business growth and prosperity within the region by removing barriers to growth and creating the right conditions for businesses to grow, flourish and invest across the Coventry and Warwickshire area. To lead and deliver on the priorities in the strategic economic plan and emerging Local Industrial Strategy to make a real difference to the benefit of all who live, work, visit and study in Coventry & Warwickshire.
The Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership Board will:
- Provide strong strategic leadership and a clear vision of how to enable the Coventry and Warwickshire Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) and Local Industrial Strategy. Which in turn will:
- Drive sustainable private sector-led growth and job creation;
- Create the right conditions to enable innovation which will deliver economic benefits to businesses and employment within the area;
- Encourage inward investment to support the growth of the region;
- Engage with local businesses, and utilise private sector leadership to deliver more effectively;
- Support sustained development in skills and training to enhance productivity;
- Provide the focal point for Coventry and Warwickshire to deliver a specific economic growth focus for businesses and local government and promote the profile of the area within the region, nationally and where applicable internationally.
- Lead through private sector expertise supported by local authorities and engagement of private sector partners to develop our businesses competitiveness;
- Create and define, with the assistance of local authorities and other public sector partners business groups that can influence and support the right conditions to enable growth in the local area;
- Role and responsibilities
In meeting its objectives, the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership Board is specifically charged with:
- Being accountable for the management of any funding programmes that may be assigned to CWLEP, together with the designated Accountable Body. To work within the local assurance framework and take reference from any subsequent government requirement or other funding agencies. CWLEP will;
- Take responsibility for their overall strategic direction and management;
- Direct the use of funds towards the objectives of the SEP and the Local Industrial Strategy
- With the support of the designated accountable body, monitor ongoing spend within any projects to maximise the benefits derived and obtain best value for money and ensure funds are spent in accord of the requirements of the supporting funding agencies and any rules set by those bodies.
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the development of projects that utilise these funds for delivery against the objectives of the SEP in collaboration with private and public sector bodies, local education establishments, other government bodies and agencies and any other interested parties.
- In relation to transport projects and the funding thereof the Board will focus on strategic transportation issues. Which;
- Align with sub-regional, regional and national significance. Delivering knowledgeable input on sub-regional issues to inform and support discussions with central Government that helps develop and deliver infrastructure that aids the delivery of the SEP and the Local Industrial Strategy
- To co-ordinate, monitor and drive projects that ensure that transport investments align with the Coventry and Warwickshire SEP and the Local Industrial Strategy whilst supporting the regional and national challenges.
- Understand and manage the risks in the delivery of the SEP and the Local Industrial Strategy to minimise any potential financial loss or overspends. Maintain an oversight of the relationship with the Accountable Body through regular review.
- Take the lead in discussions with Government to agree key objectives and measurement of economic outcomes
- Collaborate with neighboring Local Enterprise Partnerships and engage with WMCA, the focus being on securing eventual private sector growth and employment and any relating funds
- Maintain and agree the Local Assurance Framework for CWLEP
- To engage in Partnerships where the strategic or economic arguments for collaborative projects remain clear and unambiguous and deliver benefit to the C&W region;
- Take the lead in discussions with LEP Network representing and influencing the role of LEPs in achieving the economic outcomes of the Local Industrial Strategy;
- Understand the funding landscape and oversee the strategic management and delivery or the projects and programmes
- Agree and sign off individual projects and the allocation of resources to allow the project to be implemented;
- Develop and manage the delivery programme for funded projects based on the agreed priorities;
- Establish a communication framework to interested parties and the wider public with the use of an Annual General Meeting for CWLEP. Engage with existing frameworks from interested parties such as the Federation of Small Businesses and the Chamber of Commerce; CBI and IOD
- In the interest of transparency commit to the publication of Board Agenda’s and meeting minutes within the CWLEP website;
- Provide publication of financial information of CWLEP Limited and the role of the Accounting Body’s Section 151 Officer;
- Manage the CWLEP subsidiary companies to the benefit of the region as a whole. Engaging with the Board for each subsidiary to ensure both direction and financial performance are reviewed and monitored. This would include CW Growth Hub Limited, Growth Hub Business Solutions Limited and CW Champions Limited.
- Nominate representatives of the LEP to sit on various boards and groups of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA)
- Consider audit reports, financial and business, and determine how to respond to any issues highlighted by the process and taking responsibility for ensuring any necessary remedial actions identified by the audit are discharged.
If there is a question that any member of the public would like to raise that is relevant to any agenda item, please email the question to email@example.com
Tenure: Each private sector board member shall hold office for a period of three years subject to re-appointment prior to the end of that term.
Each public sector board member will be appointed by their respective Local Authority.
CWLEP Board Meeting dates 2019 and 2020:
- 25 November 2019
- 27 January 2020
- 23 March 2020
- 1 June 2020
- 27 July 2020
- 12 October 2020
- 30 November 2020
The Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (C&WLEP) Board private sector is currently at full strength.
IF however you are interested in seeking a Non-Executive Director (NED) Board appointment in the future then please get in touch via the Contact page.