Finance and Governance Board
At its meeting in November 2013, the CWLEP Board agreed the establishment of a Finance & Governance Sub-Committee to be chaired by Nick Abell and to include directors Sean Farnell and John Latham, (later joined by Cllr Andrew Mobbs) together with the Chief Executive and the Company Secretary
The first meeting of this committee took place in January 2014 and over time the responsibilities have evolved and grown as CWLEP has matured. The Committee was renamed as the Finance & Governance Board at the time constitutional changes were implemented in January 2017.
To maintain oversight and scrutiny of CWLEP’s governance arrangements, HR, remuneration and financial transactions.
The F&G Board will:
- Scrutinise CWLEP’s management systems to ensure that its business is fully compliant with all legal, audit and financial requirements including oversight of HR and staff remuneration;
- Assist the CWLEP Board, through the Programme Delivery Board, in understanding and managing financial and other risk implications of delivering the Strategic Economic Plan and the associated capital funding allocations and make recommendations to the Board as appropriate;
- Ensure the highest quality reporting information is available to the Board;
- Maintain oversight of the relationship with the designated accountable body (Coventry City Council) through regular review of the Accountable Body relationship.
- Maintain responsibility for the LEP Assurance Framework on behalf of the main board.
- Maintain oversight of the management of Corporate Risk.
- Have oversight of internal and external audit reviews and complaints received.
- Role, duties and responsibilities
In meeting its objectives, the F&G Board is specifically charged with:
- Scrutinising on a regular basis, the overall financial position of CWLEP;
- Oversight of the financial requirements and procedures relating to all funding awarded to CWLEP;
- Ensuring that CWLEP is fully compliant with all financial requirements which apply to a company limited by guarantee e.g. company accounts and financial returns to funders;
- Ensuring that CWLEP operates from the basis of good financial practice;
- Ensuring that CWLEP operates from the basis of good HR practice;
- Overseeing an annual review of CWLEP’s compliance with the LEP Assurance framework
- Review significant Corporate Risks and any mitigation in place.
- Notes of meetings
The CWLEP secretariat will email meeting agenda and papers to the F&G Board at least 48 hours before each meeting. The CWLEP secretariat will minute the meetings. Minutes will be published on the CWLEP website, save for those deemed by the F&G Board to be commercially in confidence or of a personal nature.
- Frequency of meetings and Reporting arrangements
The F&G Board will meet ahead of, and will report at, each CWLEP board meeting.
The F&G Board membership comprises:
- 2 Private Sector Board Directors, one of whom will be appointed as Chair
- 1 Public Sector member drawn from Board directors
- 1 Universities nominated board director
- Others in attendance:
- CWLEP CEO
- CWLEP Company Secretary
- Other officers by invitation
The Board will be deemed quorate with a minimum of 1 private sector Board director and 1 public sector or University Board director present.