E.ON has a well established relationship of reducing energy and carbon for Orbit Heart of England Housing Association having worked with them on a number of projects to install renewable energy solutions on its housing stock in the UK.
We were delighted to be invited back to provide a simple, low cost, LED lighting solution that would further reduce energy and maintenance costs for the Association and provide better quality, controllable lighting promoting wellbeing and productivity for employees.
We replaced all of the incandescent office lighting with new efficient LED lighting to include motion and daylight sensors and we are now quoting for a second lighting project.
E.ON designed the lighting solution based on a thorough feasibility study that not only assessed the current lighting inventory, but also the way the building was being used and how much energy it was using by installing a sub-meter to monitor usage both before and after installation to measure the savings.
On completion of the study, E.ON was asked to replace the lighting system throughout the offices, meeting rooms and common areas at Orbit’s offices in Stratford-upon-Avon with the Philips PowerBalance LED lighting system to include lamps, luminaires, daylight sensors and controls
Over 212 LED luminaries were installed improving the quality of the light and working environment for employees, reducing disruption caused by routine maintenance and cleaning and allowing greater control over usage through controls and daylight sensors.
The work was completed within just five days to an agreed budget and with minimal disruption to the business.
- £8,700 total energy cost savings per year (1/2)
- 58% reduction in energy consumption saving over £4,200 per year (1)
- £4,500 reduction in maintenance costs per year for the first five years (2)
- Carbon emissions reduced by 27.5 tonnes per year (3)
- Payback on investment within six years
- Five year warranty as standard
- All lights are controllable to allow dimming with motion and daylight sensors
Benefits and key features (4)
- 55% energy saving compared to 4 x 18W switch start fluorescent luminaire (total CCT wattage 102W)
- Office compliant
- Additional energy saving of up to 50% with controls
- Patented pyramid optic
- Modular design allows customer to keep uniformity if specifying square or linear versions
- Wattage: 45W
- Voltage 240V
- Lumen output: 3200 lm
- Dimmable: DALI
- Colour temp: 4000K
- Lifetime: 50,000 hours at L70
John Barnham, Head of Sustainable Investment at Futures – Orbit Group, said: "With limited natural lighting at Orbit Heart of England’s main office, we were aware of the effect of artificial lighting on the well being of our staff.
"EON’s LED lighting proposal provided the best option to upgrade lux levels for a more natural lighting tone as well as being cost effective and low maintenance. Disruption was kept to a minimum with installers working outside office hours and respecting staff work areas.
"Feedback following the installation has been very positive with many staff commenting that it has greatly improved their working environment. We are currently looking for other efficiency measures to reduce our energy consumption further."
(1) - Energy cost savings are calculated based on saving 50,870 kWh per year at 8.4p/KWh
(2) - Based on client specific product and labour costs
(3) - Based on total energy reduction per annum of 50,870 kWh and carbon emissions factor of 0.541 kgCO2/kWh.
(4) Source: www.ecat.lighting.philips.co.uk